Physical therapy makes your pets have a better life
Physical therapy play a vital role in treatment modality especially for neuromuscular diseases. At iVET animal hospital, we have a well-trained veterinarian, physical therapy room and high technology medical devices for rehabilitation i.e. therapeutic ultrasound, electrical stimulation, laser, treadmill, under water treadmill, swimming pool and gym ball.
Benefits of rehabilitation
1. Relief pain
2. Reduce inflammation
3. reduce swelling
4. increase joint motility
5. Strengthen muscle
6. balance and proprioception
7. stimulate muscle function and balance
8. balance gait function
9. neurological problem
10. paralytic animals
11. reduce muscle spasm
12. enforced immobility
Rehabilitation in pets
- Therapeutic Heat is a therapeutic modality being suitable for chronic inflammation since it leads to vasodilation, nerve stimulation, muscle relaxation and improvement of metabolism on that area. All of those processes result in pain alleviation and increasing joint mobility.
- Therapeutic Cold is a therapeutic modality that is most appropriate for acute inflammation since this method can reduce pain, edema and inflammatory process continuing occur. This approach, however, needs to be performed within 72 hours after affected.
- Therapeutic Ultrasound is one of the therapeutic heat technique, but it use high frequency sound to generate heat energy at around 2-4 centimeters under the skin. This approach is generally used for akylosis, chronic myositis, tendinitis and stimulating wound healing.
1. Electrical Stimulation for Pain Management
2. Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation ( NMES )
- Laser Therapy is a therapeutic approach applying a specific weave length to stimulate cell to generate energy and create a self-renewal process. Laser is proper for the lesion on the skin or small joint and can be used for both acute and chronic lesions. Moreover, we also can use laser to reduce pain, inflammation and promote bone healing.
- Therapeutic Exercise is also one of the rehabilitation modality that can be applied to stimulate recovery process of the patients. However, this approach needs to be performed under veterinarian's observation since time and intensity of the exercise have a direct impact on recovery.
Hydrotherapy is a physical therapy applying water to facilitate animals&; motion. This makes animals havening muscular weakness or neurological conditions are able to move more conveniently. Hydrotherapy can also facilitate articular movement and reduce reaction force to the joints compared to normal exercise (Low impact exercise) which results in less damage to articular surface while implementing a physical therapy. Therefore, presently hydrotherapy is becoming popular and has several approaches to implement i.e. swimming and under water treadmill (UWTM)
Indication of hydrotherapy
1. To alleviate chronic or sub-acute inflammation of tissue
2. Muscular stiffness or reduce intramuscular connective tissue
3. Degenerative joint disease
4. Patients recovering from orthopedics surgery
5. Patients having muscle spasm
6. Patients having muscle weakness
7. Neurological patients
Contraindication of hydrotherapy
1. Patients having heart disease
2. Respiratory patients
3. Patients having problem with temperature sensation
4. Severe peripheral vascular disease patients
5. Patients with bleeding problems
6. Patients having severe skin infection
7. Diarrheic patients
8. Patients being sensitive to water